My kiddos spent this past weekend at their grandparents' house. That little sentence doesn't do justice to the anxiety, excitement, and anticipation that the thought of being gone from them for two whole days cause me to experience! On Saturday, Will kept them at home for a while before taking them to his parents, and I left early with my friend Leslie for our bi-annual trip to the Trade Days. It was crazy busy, but I was able to get some birthday presents for the kids, a little something for me, and of course we had to enjoy our usual barbeque sandwich lunch and strawberry lemonade for the road. When I got home, Will had made the kid drop and we were able to enjoy a date night! We had a nice dinner, went to Borders to read for about an hour before going to see Nights in Rodanthe. If you know me at all you know how big of a Nicholas Sparks fan I am, but I was not overly anxious to see this movie because it was not one of my favorite books. But I figured the Outer Banks scenery would be great on the big screen and it did not disappoint. The movie was okay. Probably a renter. But it was nice just to be able to talk and enjoy our time together!
On Sunday we actually got up and got ready for church in plenty of time. I even got to do my makeup at home and not in the car on the way! After church we headed over to Pat and Tara's house to join them for the Cowboy's game! We had a blast tailgating, the food was great as usual, and also fun trying to find a way around the "no chairs or coolers on the ground" rule. The Cowboys won, but it was closer than it should have been so at least it was exciting. After the game it was time to reclaim our kids, and at this point I was ready to see them. Natalee gave us big huge hugs and Jack was so sweet! As soon as he saw me, his little bottom lip started quivering and he just burst into tears. I guess he didn't realize how much he missed us until he saw us. Sometimes it is good for us to miss each other.
I got this email this morning and I just had to share. Hope you enjoy this Monday funny. Thankfully my husband knows better than to verbalize this question, although our house does look like this on occasion (or a daily basis, depends on the week!)
What did you do today?
A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard. The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house and there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding into the entry, he found an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, and the throw rug was wadded against one wall. In the front room the TV was on loudly with the cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing. In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door.
He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened. He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and walls. As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled and asked how his day went.. He looked at her bewildered and asked, 'What happened here today?' She again smiled and answered, 'You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world I do all day? ''Yes,” was his incredulous reply. She answered, 'Well, today I didn't do it.'
Phone call I didn't expect...
16 years ago
1 comment:
LOVE the email! :)
I'm so glad that y'all had a good weekend, although the image in my mind of little Jack crying when he saw you breaks my heart! :)
Love you!
Misti
Post a Comment