Monday, July 28, 2008

And so it has begun.....

This morning I got a glimpse of the teenage years to come and realized the saying that boys are easier might really have some merit in the long run. Picture this: my two year old princess standing in the kitchen. Naked except for her Little Mermaid panties, her furry pink Sleeping Beauty high heels, and her yellow sunglasses. Proceeding to tell me that the pink cup I had picked out for her juice was "not so cool!" She wanted the mermaid one. I should have known that. It made me think about the point when I officially became "old" and not cool.

For me, I can exactly pinpoint the moment when I had the realization that I was "that person." The one who goes to the grocery store in a t-shirt from college that was not as recent as she would like to believe. The one with two kids in tow, one of which is talking nonstop about bathroom functions. The one that I used to look at from a distance in a restaurant, grocery store, etc. and feel glad that I was so free. I used to feel a mixture of pity, sympathy, and a little bit of envy to be quite honest. My "moment" happened right after I had Jack and was at the grocery store. I was pushing Natalee in the big, huge, impossible to steer race car shopping cart and Jack was in his carrier in the basket, leaving virtually no room to actually grocery shop. I'm pretty sure I was not showered, and if I was that was a "good" day! It just hit me, and almost literally felt like a ton of bricks, "this is my life." No, it wasn't a bad feeling, just a weird almost out-of-body experience. I don't pretend to think that that is when I traded in my "cool card." I'm pretty sure in the eyes of some it was long gone, although I like to think that my kids and husband think I am pretty cool on most days. I also know that God sees my heart, and I hope He is pleased on most days. And that is all that matters.

No comments: