On Thursday morning I woke up with a couple of things pressing on my chest: the worry that Hurrican Ike was going to go straight through my hometown just like Rita, and a hacking cough that came out of nowhere! So, after staying glued to the weather channel all day, I finally heard the verdict that the area was being evacuated. My Mom and Dad had already driven up to my sister's house so I knew they were safe, but my cousins who rode out Rita with us (in spite of cancelling her own wedding which was supposed to happen when Rita tore through our home town) called me to say they were on their way on Friday. So, this weekend we had six cousins staying with us and Natalee loved it! Since Rita three years ago, I have had two kids and Misti has had one, so this time was a little different. So these were the accommodations at Hotel Turner: Natalee slept on our pull-out couch in the sitting area in our master bedroom, Jack stayed in his room alone, Misti and her one-year old Jackson slept on a mattress on the floor in Natalee's room, Kristi and her seven-year old Jacob slept on the pull-out couch in the living room, and her two teenaged daughters, Emily and Anna slept in the guest room upstairs. Whew! Natalee and Jacob became best of buddies, and Jack and Jackson just wanted to follow the "big kids" around all day. Wow, Natalee is one of the big kids. I'll have to think about that one. Not sure I like it.
Anyway, Misti and Kristi's husbands stayed behind and had text capabilities even though cell reception was spotty and they gave us regular reports. I think my parents house has power again, although they are saying Misti's area of town (woods) might not get power for seven to ten days. There were tornadoes all around her house so thankfully there was no damage to their home. They do have generators, though, so they felt safe going home.
In the midst of all of this, my hacking cough just got worse. It was only magnified by trying NOT to cough with Natalee sleeping in our room. Or in the living room, or anywhere. Friday night I got up for three hours and laid on the floor in our closet because it was the only place without other people in it (although the cat looked at me like I was bothering his 22 hour nap!) On Saturday night Natalee fell off the bed and had a nightmare. So needless to say, there was not too much sleeping going on around here. Except for Jack who could care less! This afternoon we have made up for lost time, with both kiddos taking about a four hour nap!! We slept for over 2 1/2 hours and when I woke up at 5 pm I just couldn't believe it. Maybe I will sleep tonight without a coughing fit.
So while I am grateful that my family and loved ones are safe in East Texas, I do have friends in Houston who have no power, etc. I am praying for them all.
Phone call I didn't expect...
16 years ago
1 comment:
Wow...Hotel Turner sounds like the place to be! I know your family was so appreciative of your hospitality. Hopefully this next weekend you can relax a little.
Post a Comment